molly&conan

molly&conan

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Madeleine's balding bum and trip to the vet

I noticed last week that the fur on the backs of Maddie's hind legs seemed to be thinning but I thought maybe I was just paranoid or something.. Then over the weekend, she began to really itch and every time she sat down she'd give herself a good nibble and scratch.. The bald patches grew huge overnight. My first thought was "oh crap! mange!". But there was no crustiness so then i thought it was really horrible super fast-spreading powerful radioactive mutant ringworm unlike any other case I had ever seen before. i hate ringworm. its so annoying and i feel itchy just thinking about it.

Yesterday, I finally got home early enough to bring Maddie to the vet. That's always a challenge because the clinic closes by 730pm; too early!! Maddie isn't really used to wearing a collar and a leash yet so that was another challenge. Whenever i put a collar on her and attach the leash, she immediately lies down flat, chin on the floor, legs splayed out in every direction. I'm not sure why she does this but have been working on it by bribing her with treats. So yesterday, as expected, she wouldn't cooperate and get into the car on her own legs. She's a big pup and I'm a skinny chick so carrying her to my car is no easy task. I wrapped my muscle-free arms around her body and hoisted her up onto the backseat where she cringed and glared at me accusingly. While all this was happening, the other dogs were FREAKING OUT. They were totally convinced that Maddie and I were going to THE most fun place in the world without them. They were all very upset and sure that I was being a meanie and depriving them of going to a magical doggie wonderland where its OK to eat and roll around in cat poop.

Once we were on our way, I had to give Maddie treats every 30 seconds or so to keep her calm and happy. When we arrived, she refused to get out of the car. I had to carry her big ass body into the clinic. When i set her down on the floor, she immediately did her 'hit the deck' thing again. So, it turns out that Maddie has picked up some fleas and the reason for the crazy balding and skin flaking is that she is severely allergic to them. Poor thing. The vet frontlined her from head to toe and prescribed a course of antibiotics and steroids because her skin was so inflamed and itchy. Poor little Maddie has allergies like i do. Now i know where those super itchy bites on my ankles came from!! Thanks a lot Madds!! Oh and just in case you're wondering, the flea allergy thing is called Flea Allergy Dermatitis (FAD). My first time hearing about it!

By the way a potential adopter is coming over this weekend to meet Maddie!! Wish us luck!! Someone is also coming to see Rajah, Snowy, and Luna. YAY!!

1 comment:

meowmeowmans said...

Poor Maddie! I think our friend's dog has the same allergy. Hopefully, the antibiotics and steroids do the trick. And good luck to you, Rajah, Snowy and Luna ... we'll keep our fingers and paws crossed! :)