molly&conan

molly&conan

Thursday, May 3, 2012

My visit to Langkawi LASSie & Mr CrankyPants update

I went to the beautiful island of Langkawi for 5 days and 4 nights to volunteer at the Langkawi Animal Shelter & Sanctuary Foundation (LASSie). This wonderful place is run by someone that some of you may remember, the very special N, that sponsored all of Molly and Conan's food and medical care. I haven't mentioned Molly for a long time. You all know she is a very painful subject for me. I don't talk about her but there are reminders of her everywhere, even at the top of this blog! I will never change that picture. She is the background image on my computer and on my phone. Her collar and tag hangs in my room along with Tony Montana's. Every time I see a dog and a cat that are in love, my heart aches. I ran away from the world of animal rescue for a while. After Molly passed away, I avoided people that knew her. I didn't want anyone to ask me about her. I wanted to pretend that she never existed. I thought I could erase that whole period of my life. Because of this, I didn't see N for a very long time.

A few weeks ago I ran into her at my neighbor MK's husband's awesome cafe The Bee. MK is Mr C's other foster mummy btw.. sometimes I call her 8th Floor in this blog. I can't keep track of all the little nicknames I give people here. Anyway, Malaysian Dogs Deserve Better (MDDB) was having an adoption drive at The Bee that day. I was very happy to see N and it was great talking to her again. She knew better than anyone else what I went through with Molly, the struggle and my pain and she had always been a great help to us. We talked about my darling Molly and I was quite surprised to find that all the sadness I had supressed was still there. I had to keep my voice from shaking as we spoke and fight hard to hold back the tears that threatened to spill out. Who knew that the wound was still so raw and fresh? I thought I was over that. We continued to communicate after that accidental meeting and I asked N about LASSie. She invited me to come over and check it out for a few days. I hopped on the first flight the next morning and headed to Langkawi.

I had a great time there and met many wonderful like-minded people. We spent our days walking dogs, cleaning cages, and hanging out with the cats in the cattery. LASSie is part of N's Bon Ton and Temple Tree resorts. These are the most animal-friendly resorts in Malaysia. The majority of the animals are in the shelter and sanctuary but staff favorites are all over the resort. In the restaurants, offices, inviting themselves into the rooms, all glowing with health and well-being. There's something therapeutic and calming about seeing all this animal contentment everywhere. I'll be back very soon. Check them out at http://www.langkawilassie.org.my and like them on facebook.
Beautiful marsh teeming with life surrounds Bon Ton, Temple Tree, and Langkawi LASSie.
Beautiful sunsets.
Peace.
Pupparoo!
One-eyed Leo
Milo and Mocha in the Bon Ton restaurant.
Mocha. She thinks a lot.
Milo only likes me because I gave her a taste of cheesecake.
I love Mocha! She looks so serious.
Short like my Spike.
Couch cat is on this couch all day every day.
Gizmo's a little turd with Napoleon complex but he's one of my favorites.
He's got a bum leg that doesn't bend but he loves his walkies.
A temple tree room kitty
Another Temple Tree kitty
JJ the Temple Tree club house pooch.
One-eyed Ginge from the cattery.
A Bon Ton restaurant kitty.
Couch cat again. She's got the most comfy spot.
Another Temple Tree kitty.


As for Mr CrankyPants, he decided while I was away that he was tired of indoor life. On the day I was supposed to return, MK, who was feeding my monsters while I was was away, texted me and informed me that he was nowhere to be found in my apartment! The little shit had jumped off the balcony into the garden and gone back to the parking lot. He's back to hanging out at our cars and he's happy as a clam. I guess you can try to take the carpark out of the cat, but you can't take the cat out of the carpark. I still want him rehomed though. I don't feel its really safe for him out there.

1 comment:

meowmeowmans said...

Langkawi LASSie looks like a wonderful place. That couch cat picture cracked me up! Glad you had a chance to reconnect with N, too.

That Mr. Cranks is a rascal for sure. I hope you can re-home him.